Medical billing and coding involves the follow up insurance claims so that insurance companies pay the institution that treated a patient. The whole process commences when a health care institution treats a patient whose medical bill is catered for by their insurance company. There's a lot of paperwork involves when has to be claims for payment. A medical biller is the person whose job is to claim payments for the health care provider form the insurance company.
There are several schools for medical billing and coding. A student with interest in a career in medical billing will need a high school diploma to join a school.
A billing and coding course takes about two years, where you study the following:
• You ought to be familiar with medical terminology, hence a course in human physiology and anatomy is an essential are of study. This will give you an edge when filing claims. You can fix errors and detect them yourself, as well as make inquiries and detect fraud where need be.
• Clinical practices involve the medical procedures to treat most diseases. Your school will teach you how clinic operates. When a health care provider claims that treated a certain illness, they will list the cost of treatment, tests and medication.
• A basic knowledge in pathogens and diseases, as well their processes, such as incubation, sources and treatment is included in the course.
• A course in International Classification of Diseases equips you with the knowledge of all classified information in detail on diseases, causes, symptoms, treatment and medication. There's a code assigned to each disease. The importance of the classification and coding system is for statical issues, as well reimbursement by insurance companies. Knowledge in coding will make your job easy in processing claims of the right amount.
• Ethics and laws governing a certain practice should be known by the professional, and be guide in their work. The last thing you want is to ruin your career due to ignorance. A course in health care laws will give you the right guidance when handling claims and dealing with the practitioners. A successful career involves upholding the law and ethics.
After a course in medical billing and coding, a job is easily guaranteed. This is because many people have health insurance, and there need be claims made every time they visit a hospital. There aren't many professionals in the field, despite the growing insurance industry, so it's a competent and there's a readily available job market. You have the option to advance or change careers. Most study biology or business since both are very marketable.